Welcome : Guest Sign in
Touristic information

Touristic information

Touristic zones in Uruguay.
Visit Uruguay.

Home Touristic Info. Rivera Departamento

Rivera Departament

The presence of TWO CULTURES differentiated fundamentally in the linguistic thing, it has led to the phenomenon of acculturation produced in the region.


Population: 104.921 inhabitants (I register 2004).

Surface: 9.370 Km2

Capital: Rivera (63.365 inhabitants)

Manager: Tabaré Viera Duarte

The director of Tourism: Riding Washington

Language: Portuñol and Spanish

Limits: It is located to the north of the country, bordering towards north on Brazil, to the east on Long Hill, to the south and south-west on Tacuarembó and towards the west on Jump.

Orography: To the northwest the Black Chopper intervenes; to the North-East that of Santa Ann.
The choppers that wave the department perform form to tabulate and flattened. The chopper to tabulate of Cuñapirú finishes on the south divided by Three Hills (Crinoline, Of the Goats, Of The Way), and the erosion tends to separate also from her to that of the Hospital. The Black Chopper is characterized by his abrupt basaltic rim and his gorges invaded by thick mounts.

In a central crystalline area there appear saws (Zapucay) and hills (Vichadero, White Hills). In this area some metallic minerals exist containing manganese, iron and gold.

Rivera is to approximately 250 mts. on the sea level, it is an area waved with the hills of the Frame, Telegraph and others.

Hydrography: The river Tacuarembó, he gathers the fluvial waters of the department. Towards the van the Kudos, the Spotty one, the Cuñapirú, the Yaguarí and the creek Caraguatá.

Economy: The principal economic activity is the stockbreeder, although many pastures developed in sandy soils are of low quality. The afforestation has big possibilities of developing.

There are realized relatively located cultivation of wheat, corn, sunflower, oranges, peanut, rice, etc.

The gold has been exploited in some opportunity and there is studied the possibility of returning to this activity.

Important cities: Mines of Corrals (2.934 inhabitants), Tranqueras (5.842 inhabitants).

As tourist places of the department represent the city of Rivera, with big frontier commercial activity, the area of flat hills as the Saw of the Dawn.

The principal sights in the capital are: the Church Counterfoil, the International Park, the Municipal Theater, the football stadium, the Avenue Sarandí.

FOUNDATION OF RIVERA:

The Department of Rivera was created on October 01, 1884 when it separated of that of Tacuarembó that stayed on the south. The name evokes General Fructuoso Rivera welded of our independence and the first it anticipates of the republic in 1830.

On May 07, 1862 with the law of creation of the Peoples Ceballos, in memory of the Spanish Viceroy don Pedro de Ceballos, there begins the process that culminates on July 20, 1867 when the Decree of the Minister Frangini determines the creation of the City of Rivera in homage to colonel Bernabé Rivera. Santana's City do Livramento already existed from 1823.

The first Rivera settlers were Spanish, Italian, Portuguese immigrants (principally business-minded) some of which were already taken root in Livramento and groups of Uruguayans who went to establish themselves in the nascent people.

Beyond the strategic reasons that led the authorities to creating these frontier villages, the passing of time, the common needs, the daily coexistence, and the barrier absence, they were marking the way that in the history together these two cities should cover.

The procedure proceeding from Paysandú, Jump and Tacuarembó, or long wagons trailers with diverse goods, were the Rivera tie with the rest of the country. The commercial activity was very important and suitable to the Uruguayan interests.

XIXth - XXth centuries

In 1867 the Surveyor Martín Pays delineated the village, with 400 apples and it begins to fill, with major intensity for the area most next to the line. The current Av. Sarandi (Real Way or Dr. Ambrosio Velasco (until 1894)) and a pair of blocks to the right and left on the border itself (today 33 oriental ones), constituted the center that was stretching slowly.

Initially the municipal government had been constituted by an Auxiliary Commission of 4ta Tacuarembó section until October 01, 1884 date of creation of the Department of Rivera and on that one herself time the Police headquaters are founded being the first holder the Cnel. José Nemensio Escobar.

January 29, 1886 was nominated a Tutor of the Public School of children No.8, the teacher Maria Balestra, being the second School, there being accentuated this way the defense of the sovereignty and of our values principally the language.

In the year 1865 he installs to himself the Court of Peace, which appears in the plane of the Engineer José Pompillo Lupí, whose person in charge was the Magistrate Don Pedro Midón.

In 1871 there is created the first Chapel, which in 1884 Parish is named being chosen for the charge Presbítero José López Arcante and February 25, 1891 turn into Cathedral.

In 1886 there were founded 11 schools and the first newspaper ?The voice of Rivera?. In 1889 the first Banco Sucursal of the BROU is inaugurated, existing at present 9 banks.

In 1892 the Railroad comes to Rivera, joining with the capital of the country.

In January, 1901, the first public system of illumination is inaugurated to lantern of Rivera, promoted by the economic - Administrative Meeting, in July of the same year the Av stone pavement. Sarandí. On November 25, 1901, the telegraph begins to work in Rivera and Livramento.

The arrival of the railroad increased significantly the number of travelers, fundamentally towards and from the capital of the country.

Between these travelers and that personnel of the railroad company brought the soccer. Since Montevideo happened in proper, the Englishmen, officials of the company of the railroad introduced the soccer in Uruguay.

On April 30, 1905 the first lanterns appear to kerosine, the stone pavement of streets and the public auditions with phonographs from house "The France".

In October, 1906 the following associate activities are created: Shopping center of Rivera, Clerks' Center of the Commerce and the Working Union Riverense and on the 29th the first Exhibition Takes a break Stockbreeder.

In November, 1906 there appears the First Motorcar that belonged to Don José Lapido.

In the National Census realized on October 12, 1908 Rivera was provided with a whole of 35.683 settlers and of them 8.986 were residing in the urban plant.

In September, 1910, he installs to himself the Room of the First Help, created by the Chief of Poli cía, Colonel Foglia and Dr. A.Ugon. On December 31 of the same year there is inaugurated the Service of Luz Eléctrica, whose particular authorization Ricardo Eguía Puentes obtains the signature.

In 1911 salt the newspaper "The France" with editions in big format, of 16 pages and it is distributed in free form
On June 10, 1912 the President José Batlle y Ordoñez with the Minister Pedro Manini Ríos raises to City category to the Town of Rivera, on initiative of Deputy Don Carlos Oneto and Viana.

The Club Uruguay is the principal social center from his foundation on December 24, 1901 working in the epoch in Av. Sarandí and Mñor. Edge (Current Banco de la Re - public) where even a teatrito was working.

In 1913, March 24, with 43 pupils of both sexes it initiates his classes the Departmental Lyceum in the old place of the Ex-factory FRONTEX (Street Dr. Anollés almost Marshall Botafogo, today Bvar. 33 Oriental ones) and his first director Don Carlos Guamba.

On May 18 the Normal Institute is inaugurated by 46 pupils and his first director is the teacher Obdulia Duran, the industrial education already would have his house in 1924 how do the Industrial School is created.

On December 20, 1913 the lounge Rendez-Vouz changes his denomination into that of "Theater Forencio Sanchez" property of misters Juncosa Hnos, exhibiting this day the movie "Quo Vadis".El on July 22, 1914, Tranqueras declares himself publo. In January, 1915 the telephone communication is inaugurated between Rivera and Tacuarembó.

In 1927 Field Municipalen constructs himself the Meadow of that time, during the collegiate government integrated between others for Mr. Atilio Paiva Olivera and in 1929, on having died, this one decides to name the Meadow and Field with his name. The stadium will receive his first big change in 1966 being of the best of the interior of the country several years.

In 1936 City of Tourism declares itself Rivera, what encourages a big development in this activity, excursions being realized in railroad, the highways being improved and coming also visitors of Brazil.

In 1938 the Park Great Britain is created on the loin of the black chopper to 7 kilometers of the city.

On August 13, 1938 there is created the Departmental Shield of Rivera created by Tell Ramis.

In 1942 there is inaugurated the Hotel Casino that for many years is a real postcard of the city.

In February, 1943 with big celebrations and the presence of the respective presidents the International, only Square is inaugurated in the world, be remembered that in the same moment of the history, the Second World war was happening and was a borders topic precisely the motives of the same one. The Obelisk that is in the above mentioned square, symbolizes the brotherhood. On August 25, 1953 the Clubs Rotary Rivera and Livramento contribute the source Lumisosa. The third one and more beautiful than the interior cairns of the square it is the Monument to the Mother, donated by the same Clubs on April 24, 1960 and work of sculptor José Belloni.

In 1951 the Municipal Motor-racing circuit is enabled in the top of the Black, adjacent Chopper to the Park Great Britain. This stage is shared often by the Brazilian sportsmen.

On May 18, 1953 there is discovered the statue of the Oriental Worthy and big Americanist General José Gervásio Artigas. The bronze represents it delivering the Instructions of the Year XIII and it is a work of sculptor Pablo Serrano.
On August 24, 1953 there is inaugurated the new local lyceum "Departmental Lyceum" that today takes the name of Dra. Celia Ponpoli,

On October 04, 1977 the Municipal Theater opens his doors being of the best of the interior of the country.
On October 01, 1984 the Municipal House is inaugurated and the Terminal of Bus acts in charge of the Bad-tempered Company / Di Marco Hnos. Constructions S.A. and whose inaugural badge shines in the First Apartment and says "Municipal Commissariat of Rivera? ? Building Sedate Inaugurated 1 ° of October, 1884 and executed during the Administration Dde the Inetendentes:Ing. Agriculture. Adolfo Gutiérrez (1973-1981), Cnel Raul Mermot (1981-1984), Ariel Pereira (1984), and Carlos Gutiérrez Fabris (1984-1985). The planes were realized: for the Arq. Dinorah Coast, J Perez Muñiz, J. It saws Sánchez and Rober to

The existing social bilingualism on our border, product of the centenary coexistence, has become used by our own and most out-standing writers and poets of Alvez (poetess) in his work Rural Toast.
Olinto Maria Simoes - Poet (1901 - 1966) works ?The Shade of the Bananas?.

Also the poets "lalo Mendoza?, Esc. "Yonhy" Enrique de Mello, Hipólito Paz Recarey, Maria Luisa Larena, Dra. Mirta Garat and Prof. Delia Casarré De Alvez.


Related :
Population Governing Superficie Capital Intendente of Tourism Language Limits Orography Black Chopper Hydrography I laugh Tacuarembó Economía important Cities inhabitants PLACES SPA MUNICIPAL DAM HIDROELÉTRICA OF SANTA CUÑAPIRÚ ERNESTINA MASOLLER NATURE RESERVE REGINAL VALLE DEL LUNAREJO FOUNDATION XIXth Century XX
More Touristic Info.
Montevideo

Montevideo

The capital of Uruguay, Montevideo offers with height, all the tourist services, sceneries, coasts and beaches, culture, gastronomy...

Montevideo, Montevideo, capital
Colonia

Colonia

Cologne is an Uruguayan department that is placed in the south-west of the country, on the coast where there end the rivers Parana and Uruguay.

Colonia, Colonia, capital
Punta del Este Air view from Península in Punta del Este.

Punta del Este

Located in the southeast end of the country, to the southeast of the department of Maldonado and to 7 km from the cardinal city (Maldonado).

Punta del Este, Península
Maldonado

Maldonado

It is an attractive city that preserves the features typical of the colonial epoch.

Punta del Este, Maldonado, Capital
Colonia del Sacramento

Colonia del Sacramento

Cologne of the Sacramento, colonial beauty of Uruguay. Historical patrimony of the Humanity.

Colonia, Colonia del Sacramento
Colonia Valdense

Colonia Valdense

Cologne Valdense, it is an Uruguayan city located in the department of Cologne.

Colonia, Colonia Valdense
Loading...

My favorites

Panoramic contents

Hotels in Uruguay

Best hotels in Uruguay
Hotels and resorts, campings, inns and ranches...

Shops Uruguay

Company´s and services guide.

Uruguay company, services, commerce, shots in only unique guide.